Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Best Beef Stew...Ever!

Have you ever been interested in Le Creuset cookware? To be honest, I never have - mostly due to the price. However, on a bit of an impulse, and with the excuse of wanting a special pan for our soup-days, we splurged on a black model that was on the clearance rack at our local premium outlet mall. All I can say is that I should have been more interested a lot earlier!

I love, love, love this pan! No, really...it is a fantastic pan. It is made in France, which is truly not the impressive part. It is heavy cast iron with a beautiful enamel inside and out. And, it is that magical combination that makes it great, requiring less heat than other pans. I have used it on the stove-top and in the oven with wonderful results, One of the first meals I prepared in it was a beef stew - I passed up the crock pot for this beauty, and it was easily the BEST beef stew I have ever tasted. The clean up is super-easy, too...just soak for 10-15 minutes and after a few swishes, it looks like new. I am completely amazed!

Now, for the recipe:

Best Beef Stew...Ever!

2 lbs eye of round beef roast, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 red pepper, diced
3 red potatoes, diced (I didn't peel them, but you can)
1 med sweet onion, small dice
2 cups fresh carrots, small dice
1 14 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
1 12 oz. bottle of Samuel Adams light ale (I chose Octoberfest)
2 tsp veggie bullion paste
5 T tomato paste
2 T all-purpose salt-free seasoning (like Spike)
1/2 tsp garlic herb seasoning (I used Perfect-Pinch)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

Everything goes in a 4+ quart casserole and mixed together well.
Bake covered at 425* for 2 hours, stirring once halfway through cooking time

I served this alongside farro, but you could use egg noodles, any style pasta, or rice. Or not...it is so very good you don't really need anything else. Definitely comfort food - ideal for winter storm watching.

More of this cookware is on my wishlist!



No comments: