Sunday, October 5, 2014

My Version of Arroz con Pollo


After a bout of sickness from allergens in my favorite restaurant's rendition of this popular dish, I decided to figure out how to make it myself. After reading several recipes from my favorite chefs, I set to my own experiment. My method may be a bit unorthodox, but does that really surprise anyone?

Hendel's Arroz con Pollo

In a gallon sized zipper bag put:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cilantro (dried)
1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 thawed chicken breasts, cut into thirds

Massage spices into the chicken pieces inside the sealed zip bag until chicken pieces are completely covered with spices. Place bag in refrigerator (for approx. an hour, or so).

Next, prep the veggies:
1/2 large sweet onion, diced small
1/2 green pepper, diced small
1/2 red pepper, diced small

Saute in large fry pan until soft, almost carmelized. Then add:

2 cans stewed, diced tomatoes, with juice
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups broth, veggie or chicken
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder, or 1 clove crushed/minced garlic

Let simmer.

Next, brown the chicken pieces in a heated frying pan. Place the chicken pieces in a layer in the simmering veggie mixture along with:

1 cup jasmine rice
1-1/2 cups more broth

Cover and continue simmering for 30-40 minutes.

Remove and serve with shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream and/or guacamole, if desired.


No comments: