Friday, January 10, 2014

Crockpot Dal

I think I finally have landed on a dal that I really, really like! The crockpot is a great way to make dal, since you can just throw everything in and let it do its thing.



Crockpot Dal

1 lb dried brown lentils (one bag, or two cups)
1 can Rotel (w/juice)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained/rinsed
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots or a handful of baby carrots, diced
1 medium onion, yellow or sweet, diced
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp Special Curry Spice Mix
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 or 2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 cups veggie broth
1-1/2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 clove garlic, minced/crushed
1/2 tsp each paprika, cumin

All ingredients go into the crockpot; cook on high for 5-6-ish hours. Prior to service, mash a bit with a potato masher (in the crock) to thicken dal.


Serve over rice (I like Jasmine, myself).

No comments: