Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Bit about Coffee



Being a Seattle-ite, I have a bit of an affinity for coffee.  OK, so maybe more than a bit. *smirk*

So, straight out of the shoot I'm gonna just put it out there that I love Starbucks coffee.  Not only is it THE place to find the latest concoction of coffee-goodness, it is a comfort, as well.  Just walk in and it feels like home.  And now that they provide free wi-fi in all their stores...well, that is just the whip cream and chocolate sauce on the top!

Marilyn, my favorite barista
I don't always swing through my favorite Starbucks, though...sometimes my buddy and I opt for an interesting coffee drink called a Venetian from a coffee company called Forza.  They feature a latte made with brown sugar, which is surprisingly tasty.  And there are times when we are on the road when we give a little local, cutsie-named coffee drive-through a go.  I have found that the Pacific Northwest has the highest concentration of coffee sellers, without doubt.



When I'm at home, though, I just use the standard drip coffee maker for my morning fix.  I highly recommend SBC coffee that you can grab at any grocery store.  I definitely lean towards the stronger, darker blends.  For entertaining, I have a coffee urn that turns out some pretty good java using the course ground Millstone (a dark roast variety, of course).  I have always been leery of 'urn' coffee, especially after tasting the horrid coffee offered at hospitals, hotel conventions and churches.  So, when I purchased an urn myself, I was driven to produce some good-tasting coffee.  One thing I always do is add a filter, which the maker of the urn said was optional (this is a lie, by the way!) and putting in just under the recommended amount of course-ground coffee - it has to be course ground.  If not, you will produce mud, which is not a good thing.



Another product my friend and I like is the new instant coffee just recently introduced by Starbucks, called VIA.  My parents drank instant coffee back in the seventies...remember Sanka?  Blech.  This instant coffee is different, though.  It is quite strong, however, and would recommend using half of the recommended amount for a standard mug of joe anywhere you have access to hot water.  They also have a variety intended for iced coffee, which would be awesome in the warmer months, but we have not tried this product as of yet.  I'm thinkin' it mixes easier into cold water than the hot water variety.

And, to go in your coffee?  I like the new Bailey's creamers - definitely worth giving a try.  International Delight is my creamer of choice, as the CoffeeMate is just a little too thick (and has a distinct taste I don't much care for).  For a real splurge, you could use real Bailey's and a bit of Kahlua...

Coffee.  An absolute must and most certainly worth a little discussion.

No comments: